Under the guidance of CESL instructor Donna Guardino, CESL held its first Spelling Bee. Students competed against other students from their own level, and by the end three victors were crowned: Linya Shu (Levels 5 and 6), Joseph Fwelo (Level 3), and Yang Liu (Level 2).
The rules were as follow:
1. The pronouncer announces the word to be spelled. They use the word in a sentence and says the word again.
2. The speller listens carefully to the pronouncer and asks for the word to be repeated if necessary.
3. The speller pronounces the word back, spells it, and then says the word again.
4. The judges determine whether or not the word is spelled correctly.
5. If the correct spelling of the word was