Skip to main content

Student Jobs

Search myUK jobs for 1. Student jobs, 2. On Campus, and talk with the UK International Center before you apply, to make sure the job is acceptable for immigration purposes.


Eligibility Requirements 

You may work on campus provided you are maintaining F-1 status and you do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session. You may be employed full time during summer and other vacation periods if you are eligible and intend to register for the subsequent academic term. Enrollment in Summer Sessions I or II does not prohibit full-time on campus work. 

Students with full graduate assistantships should contact the Graduate School and their departments regarding Graduate School policies related to their employment. 

Jobs that Qualify as "On-Campus Employment" 

On-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the school library, cafeteria, and administrative offices. These employees receive regular paychecks from the University of Kentucky and will be issued a Form W-2 from the University of Kentucky for tax purposes. 

On-campus also includes employment with "... on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria." Exception: On-campus employment does not include employment on the school's premises for a commercial firm or through a third party contract or agreement that is not providing on-campus services for students; examples include at a construction site for a new school building or serving patients in the hospital. 

Examples of third-party companies with contracts at UK not included in the on-campus employment category: 
Agiliti/Agilitihealth (formerly known as Universal Hospital Services)
Crothall (unless the position is in a cafeteria that serves UK students, faculty, and staff in a cashier/server position that does not include patient services)
Greystar (unless the position is Summer Conference Housing Assistant)

Example of third-party companies with contracts at UK which are included in the on-campus employment category: 

When searching for positions on UK Jobs, be aware of the following job codes:
DU (Direct User) - on-campus departments
TE (STEPS) - on-campus
SE (Student Employment) - off-campus employer or 3rd party Contract

Before beginning any employment through a third-party contract (non-UK paycheck), the position must be reviewed and approved by a member of the ISSS team.  

On-campus employment regulations also prohibit any type of self-employment. For example: private tutoring, direct sales, driving for ride share, taxi companies, or food deliver services. 

For questions regarding what qualifies as on-campus employment please contact ISSS

    Newly-arrived Students in the U.S. 

    Students who have entered the US in Initial SEVIS status (as noted in Section 3 of the I-20) to begin a new program, can begin on-campus employment no more than 30 days prior to the first day of classes. 

    Newly-arrived Transfer Students 

    Students may engage in on campus employment at UK after their SEVIS record has been released to UK and an I-20 issued.


    More information can be found on the International Center website: under the section:

    On-Campus Employment (Undergraduate, Graduate, ESL)